//KEEPING YOUR CAR IN SHAPE
When you get your first car, the last thing you want to worry about is your car breaking down. The best way to assure that your car stays in shape is to regularly perform maintenance checks. Here are the most important things to keep in mind:
- Tires — Be sure your tires are always properly inflated and are not worn down.
- Brakes — if your brakes feel “soft” when you apply pressure, or if they are making noises, you should get them checked.
- Headlights, turn signals, etc. — Have a friend help you check out all your lights. Make sure they work and are positioned properly.
- Water and other fluids — Check regularly and “top off” the levels.
- Belts and hoses — If they look cracked or blistered, you should get them replaced.
- Battery — Test your battery and check for deposits on the contacts.
- Wipers — Don’t wait until the rainy season to check your wipers. Replace your blades if the cause streaks or if they appear cracked.
Just these simple things can help prevent unnecessary repairs down the road, and they might even help prevent an accident from happening.
Back to Buying a Car Articles