//ATM SAFETY TIPS
Although ATM crimes are rare, you should always be careful when using an ATM. These tips are a start, but the best advice is simply not to use an ATM if you feel at all uncomfortable doing so. Here are some helpful and safe tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings, particularly at night. If you observe or sense suspicious persons, do not use the machine.
- Before you get to the ATM, have your card in your hand, know your PIN code and have your deposit slip filled out. Be sure to lock your car, but keep your keys handy so you can get back in quickly if necessary.
- When waiting in line, wait well behind the person in front of you. If someone is too close to you, ask that person to step back. If the person does not, go to your car and wait until he/she leaves or go to another ATM.
- Have your ATM card ready and in your hand as you approach the ATM.
- Be careful that no one can see you enter your PIN. Use your body to "shield" the ATM keyboard as you enter your PIN.
- Keep your information confidential and always take your receipts with you.
- Do not count or visually display any money you received from the ATM. Immediately put your money into your pocket or purse and count it later.
- If you must go to the ATM after dark, go to one located inside an open business such as a grocery store.
- If you are using a drive-up ATM, be sure passenger windows are rolled up and doors are locked.
Back to Accessing Money Articles
AA Credit Union is a registered trademark of American Airlines, Inc. Federally insured by the NCUA.